Thursday, September 25, 2008

STAFF POSTING TOPICS HANNA K

SPACE

1 comment:

CourtneyMcA said...

Hello,

I found your lecture on performance and space very interesting. I am especially intrigued by the potential interrelationship between your ideas and Milija’s powerful lecture on censorship.

Specifically, I would like to hear your thoughts on the suppression of dissenting voices when they attempt to inhabit a traditional theatrical environment, as opposed to an alternative, more peripheral, performance space.

If the theatre is an artificial environment that can structure or influence our reception, does it also sometimes function as an institutional establishment that perpetuates the demarcation of subversive acts as subversive? In my mind, it seems that the series of inherited meanings and conventions that linger within such spaces might make certain performances more susceptible to both imposed and self-censorship than they would be if they inhabited less monumental/symbolic spaces. Of course, censorship involves much more than a venue (and the plethora of other factors must always be considered). However, I would still like to hear any thoughts you have about the interaction between censorship and space.

Thank you again for the stimulating lecture.